Where can I get a vaccine for my 12-15 year old?
Updated 5/12/21 – The FDA and the CDC approved Pfizer for 12-15 year olds.
Some locations are beginning to allow parents to schedule 12-15 year olds. Thrifty White, CVS, and Walgreens, and St Paul Corner Drug. are vaccinating 12-15 year olds at locations that have pfizer. Walmart website is not yet updated, but they are doing 12+ with parental consent. Use this tool to see which locations have Pfizer: https://www.vaccines.gov/search/. Hyvee’s website says they expect to start on Thursday, May 13.
Best places to look right this minute
- State Vaccine Locations – You can now sign yourself up at any of the state vaccine locations. https://mn.gov/covid19/vaccine/find-vaccine/community-vaccination-program/index.jsp
- County and City public health departments. There are a whole list of upcoming clinics here with links to schedule an appointment, some are today. There are more counties and cities vaccinating than are in this list, so search for your county and covid vaccines. https://prepmod.health.state.mn.us/clinic/search
- Community Care Clinics of Minnesota is open to all. Different vaccines depending on the day, updated on their website. They vaccinate Wednesday through Saturday, and sometimes on Sunday. No appointments required, just walkup. Follow their Facebook page to know which vaccines are available and how busy they are. https://www.facebook.com/CCCOFMN
- M Health Fairview is now vaccinating anyone 16 and older at a variety of locations. https://mhealthfairview.org/covid19/covid19-vaccine or call 612-336-2690.
- Check our website pages for health systems to know whether they are only vaccinating their own patients, or anyone eligible.
General recommendations to find a vaccine
- Check for available appointments: Check a variety of local federal pharmacies at once with these tools. Then click on the links to book an appointment. No need to stay up until midnight. Appointments are plentiful and easy to book.
- Need a particular vaccine? Use this tool to search for what is in stock at federal pharmacies, and then focus your search on those pharmacies.
- Know that from week to week the same pharmacy location will not have the same vaccine.
- Cub is a state pharmacy and is therefore not on this finder.
- MyChart: If you still have not been called by your health system, make sure you have it updated with your phone number and email, or simply call and ask for an appointment or check within your MyChart. At this time everyone should have been called.
- State Covid-19 FAQ: check the State Covid-19 FAQ for other questions.
Where can I find J&J now?
J&J has been reauthorized by the CDC.
- Use this website to see where J&J is in stock at federal pharmacies and then book an appointment at those pharmacies.
Where are ALLLL the places I might look for a vaccine
- All Pharmacies are vaccinating 16+ if they have Pfizer or 18+ if they have Moderna or J&J. Some pharmacies with Pfizer are now vaccinating 12-15 year olds (see, “Where can I get a vaccine for my 12-15 year old?”). To know which vaccine they have look here, if they are in federal pharmacy program.
- Smaller independent Pharmacies
- County Public Health Departments are vaccinating 16 and older IF they have Pfizer and 18 and older if they have Moderna. Most are vaccinating residents of any county.
- Health Systems are vaccinating at least patients, 16+. Requirements vary by health system.
- Fairview is vaccinating anyone 16 and older.
- Allina is vaccinating anyone 16 and older.
- Essentia is vaccinating anyone 16 and older.
- Centracare is vaccinating anyone 16 and older.
- Community University is vaccinating their patients 16+.
- Gillette is vaccinating their patients 16+ and their caregivers.
- Healthpartners is vaccinating anyone 16 an older.
- Hennepin Healthcare is vaccinating their patients 16 and older.
- North Memorial is vaccinating patients 16 and older, and anyone 65 and older.
- Northpoint is vaccinating all adults 18 and older.
- The Minneapolis VA is vaccinating veterans, their spouses, and caregivers (enrolled or not).
Where can I find Pfizer for my 16-17 year old?
Our best suggestion is to use Vaccine Finder to see which federal pharmacies have it in stock, and then focus your search on those pharmacies. Appointments are now easy to find. Please be aware that most locations will require you accompany anyone under 18 for their appointment. Always confirm when you book and again when you arrive that you will be getting Pfizer.
You can also book 16 and 17 year olds at many health systems. Our website pages for each health system were updated 5/10/21.
What does the covid vaccine cost?
The covid vaccine is free. Businesses can charge a fee to your insurance for the administration of the vaccine, but if you do not have insurance or have not met your deductible, you cannot be charged . This Health and Human Services document describes how it works.
I have friends without internet, how can they get an appointment?
I’m struggling with technology to make an appointment.
I’m struggling with technology to make an appointment.
- Search in our Minneapolis Vaccine Hunters Facebook Group
- Ask in our Minneapolis Vaccine Hunters Facebook Group, we might message you rather than posting your question to the whole group, if your question has been asked a lot, but we will do our best to get you an answer.
- Where we have phone numbers to make an appointment, those are noted in the information on the page for that health system or pharmacy.
- Request help through our website: https://mnvaccinehunters.com/help/
I still have questions.
The State of Minnesota has a great vaccine hotline that answers questions. Depending on what your question is related to, there are different numbers.
The State also maintains a list of all vaccine locations.
Be SURE to sign up for the MN Vaccine Connector, no matter your age. It will let you know where appointments might be available, and if you are not yet eligible, it will let you know when you become eligible.
If you are still stuck, join our facebook group and ask a question.
If you aren’t on facebook, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be patient in anticipating a response via email.